There are some countries around the world that offer citizenship by investment. This means that citizenship can be acquired by investing in the local economy by purchasing real estate, investing in securities, setting up a business, or creating jobs.
What are the advantages of a second citizenship?
- Access to 120 to 180 countries around the world including the EU and USA without visas.
- Register a company and do business in another country.
- Acquire the same rights as citizens.
- Quickly move to another country in case of an unforeseen event.
Grenada, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Dominica, Antigua and Barbados.
Portugal, Spain, Greece, Latvia.
Turkey and Dubai.
What are the conditions that one must consider when choosing a country that offers citizenship by investment?
All countries have different conditions for attaining a second citizenship. Listed below are conditions that need to be considered:
- Amounts and types of investment
- Requirements for investor
- Registration costs
- Investment terms
- Process of obtaining citizenship
- Freedom of travel, work and study
- Availability to the whole family
- Access to education and healthcare
- Tax benefits
- Quality of life
Which of these countries offer the best options?
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Kitts and Nevis, two islands located in the eastern Caribbean Sea and known for its mountains and beaches appears in most lists. It has the oldest citizenship by investment program in the world and only a processing period of 60 days upon submission of application.
- A minimum investment of US$150,000 into a sustainable growth fund for an individual or family of up to four persons
- US$200,000 investment in property for 7 years or $400,000 for 5 years.
A St. Kitts and Nevis passport allows the holder visa-free access to 156 countries around the world.
Vanuatu is an island nation in the South Pacific Ocean with the fastest processing period for a second passport of only 30 days for investor and his family. No physical presence is required.
A minimum investment of US$130,000 is all that is required and the holder will have visa-free access to 129 countries that include the EU, UK, Singapore and Hongkong.
A Golden Visa Portugal allows the holder to live, work, and study in Portugal and anywhere else within the European Union, European Economic Area, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
Benefits of the Golden Visa Portugal
- A minimum investment of €500,000 in real estate property or capital investments
- Travel visa-free within the European Union, European Economic Area, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and 186 other countries
- Includes family members
- Renewable every two years with no residency requirements
- Citizenship is possible in 5 years
- Allows holder to live, work, and study in Portugal
- Excellent educational system
- Excellent healthcare system
The Greek Golden Visa
The Greek experience and lifestyle can be yours through the Greek Golden Visa. For a minimum investment of €250,000, through a real estate purchase for private ownership or rental, one can avail of a five-year residency after which one can apply for the citizenship program.
The Greek Golden Visa allows the holder the following benefits:
- The right to live in Greece
- The entire family is eligible
- Visa-free travel to Schengen zone
- Good quality of life
- High standards of education
- Free and equal access to the Greek Healthcare System
- The Greek Golden Visa is approved within 60 days
- Does not require the applicant to live in Greece.
Benefits of the Turkish Citizenship by Investment Program:
- The Turkish passport has visa-free access to 125 countries and territories all over the world. However, it does not benefit from visa-free travel to the Schengen areas.
- Turkey holds an E-2 visa treaty with the United States. This means that once the applicant becomes a citizen of Turkey, he can apply for US residency through the E-2 visa program. This is a much quicker and more cost-effective route for the Turkish citizen.
- Turkey also has an agreement with the United Kingdom through the Turkish Businessperson Visa wherein the holder of a Turkish passport who would like to establish a business or has employment options in the United Kingdom can apply for a special business visa from the United Kingdom and start the process for applying for British citizenship.
- Turkey allows dual citizenship.
- Spouses, children below 18 years old and parents who are dependents of the applicant can avail of Turkish passports.
- Residency in Turkey is not required.
- Turkish language proficiency is not required.
- Applicants are required to hold their real estate purchases for three years, after which they can sell the property or hold the property for five years and not have to pay capital gains tax.
- An applicant can earn an average of 8% annually on real estate rentals