The most common Spanish visas

Spain ranks third in a study on the most popular destinations to move to, only behind Canada and Japan, making the Mediterranean country one of the top choices for foreigners that are looking for a new location to reside, or for business. Discover what are the most common Spanish visas:

Spain non-lucrative visa

The Spain Non-Lucrative Visa is for those who want to live in Spain for one year without having a business presence or business activity nor having to make an investment but want to work independently and can show a source of passive income that will prove they can afford the cost of living in Spain, accommodations and other needs that they may require for themselves and their family. They will have to provide bank statements for the past six months as proof of this passive income. Applicants must have at least 400% of the IPREM value in their account every year. Passive income are funds that come from, for example, investment funds, rental income, shares or dividends, or royalties from their country of origin or elsewhere.

After one year, the Spain Non-Lucrative visa can be renewed twice for two years each time after which the holder can apply for a permanent residency.  The Spain Non-Lucrative visa allows the holder to bring in family members as long as he can prove that he has enough funds to support them.

The Spain Non-Lucrative visa will also allow the holder to travel visa-free to Schengen nations. Holders can eventually obtain Spanish nationality if one has sufficient funds to live in Spain for ten years without permanent employment.

Spain visa for family reunification by general regime

The visa for family reunification by general regime is for non-European citizens with a residence permit in Spain who would like to bring the rest of their family to live and work in Spain. Only those who have renewed their initial residence permit are eligible to apply for this type of visa and must prove that these family members are wholly dependent on the applicant. Only parents and parents-in-law over 65 years of age, children under 18 years old, and spouse or common-law partner are eligible.

For those with children over 18 years old but only up to 21 years old who are still dependent on the applicant, it is important that the applicant show proof they are still studying and still economically dependent on the applicant.

Applicant must show that he has the economic means with which to support his family and must have an amount equal or greater than 150% of the IPREM for each relative in his bank account. An additional 50% of the amount for one relative must be added for each relative. Applicant must also show his work contract for a minimum of one year or provide the latest income tax statement.

Spain visa for family reunification with an EU citizen

The Spain Visa for family reunification with an EU citizen is a visa for spouses/domestic partner/stable partner, children below 21 years old or parents or parents-in-law of Spanish or other European Union citizens, European Economic Area citizens or Switzerland. The residence permit is valid for five years and becomes permanent when renewed.

Children of sponsors over 21 years of age must prove that they are economically dependent on the sponsor.

Family members of Spaniards, European Union citizens, European Economic Area citizens or Switzerland from countries that do not require visas, like for example, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Peru, Venezuela, have to obtain the community family card once they have arrived in Spain.

For those from countries that require a visa, arrangements must be made both in Spain and in the country where the family members that are applying for reunification reside.

Spain visa for students

A Spain student visa allows the holder to study or train, take part in a student exchange, or to work as an unpaid intern for more than three months in Spain. There are different types of student visas which are valid for different lengths of time:

  • Student Visa for less than 3 months or 90 days
  • Student Visa for between 3 and 6 months
  • Student Visa for more than 6 months

Residence visa for religious

This visa is for religious ministers and members of the hierarchy of the different churches, confessions and religious communities, as well as professed members of religious orders. It allows the holder to reside in Spain to perform religious activities without engaging in any type of lucrative activity. Family members are included but they will have to file separate applications. The entity to which the holder belongs to should bear the expenses of the applicant while he is in Spain.

Spain Visa for au pair

The Spain Au Pair visa is a Spanish long-term visa for students that would like to work for a particular family in Spain to help them with house chores or to care for their young children. It is available only to those applicants who are between 17 to 30 years old, do not have children, speak the major European languages including Spanish, and have a host family before application.

Visa for residency and work

Employment visa 

This visa is the most common long-term visa for immigrants and is issued for the purpose of working in Spain.

The Golden Visa Spain 

This long-term visa is ideal for those who want to live fulltime in Spain or for those who would like to maintain a second residence in Europe without having to become a citizen.