Of the top 20 universities in the world according to the QS Global World Ranking, seven can be found in Europe. These are the following:
2- University of Oxford
3- University of Cambridge
7- Imperial College London
8- ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
9- University College of London
14- EPFL – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne
16 -The University of Edinburgh
However, admittance to these universities is stringent and the cost of tuition can be very expensive. The cost of living in these countries are also very high. However, one can still study in Europe, particularly in Portugal with a Golden Visa.
Reasons why Portugal is an ideal place to study
The Universidade Nova de Lisboa is the top university in Portugal and is among the top 25 new universities in Eurpoe. It is ranked 431 in the QS Global World Ranking. The Universidade Catolica Portuguesa (UCP) is best known for its Masters in Management and the University of Porto has been the leading European school of architecture.
Low Cost of Tuition
Most universities in Portugal are public universities which means that the tuition fees are reasonable or even free.
Low Cost of Living
The cost of living in Portugal is relatively low compared to other European countries. One can live comfortably on a student’s budget.
The Portuguese have a reputation as hospitable people. They do not discriminate tourists, from workers, from immigrants, from Erasmus students or postgraduate students.
Being a small country, all of Portugal’s natural wonders including its beaches, and historic cities can easily be explored in a very short time.
Knowing a second or third language is always an asset especially if one wants to live and work in Europe. Portuguese also happens to be the world’s sixth most spoken language.
Portugal enjoys sunshine most of the year with only an average of 90 days of rain in a year. Regions in the south of Portugal like Alentejo and Algarve enjoy even more sunny days.
Portugal boasts of a healthy Mediterranean cuisine based mostly on fish, vegetables and legumes, and fruits. Desserts are mostly based on varied combinations of eggs, sugar and cinnamon.
While studying in Portugal, there are many internships and part-time jobs available for students. After graduation, these same companies might opt to keep you or you may find opportunities in the local start-up scene or larger businesses including international companies with ties to Portugal like Brazil.
Benefits of the Golden Visa Portugal
- A minimum investment of €500,000 in real estate property
- Travel visa-free within the European Union, European Economic Area, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and 186 other countries
- Includes family members
- Renewable every two years with no residency requirements
- Citizenship is possible in 5 years
- Allows holder to live, work, and study in Portugal
Golden Visa Portugal real estate option
The Golden Visa Portugal real estate option is perhaps the most popular way to get residency in Portugal. This is because Portugal is seen as a prime destination among property investors, with a flourishing real estate market, high rental yields, and booming tourism industry.
- Many expats buy properties in Portugal for tourism purposes, or to serve as a second home or a retirement destination. You can invest in newly-built properties in thriving Lisbon or Porto starting from €500,000.
- However, the Portuguese government would like to transfer the focus of real estate investments from the high-density areas like Lisbon, Porto, the Algrave, and the high-density coastal towns like Setubal and the Silver Coast to low-density areas like the Azores, Madeira and the cities and towns in the interior of Portugal where you can invest €350,000 for existing properties located in urban re-generation areas
- The most economical investment route for the scheme is to make a €280K investment in the rehabilitation of real estate in low-density areas. The Portugal Golden Visa property for sale must at least be more than thirty years old and undergoing renovation.
Golden Visa Portugal capital investment options
Investing in private equity funds or Golden Visa Portugal venture capital funds is a good option for acquiring residency in Portugal. The funds are managed by fund managers who are accredited by Portugal’s regulatory body, the CMVM. Your dedicated fund manager ensures that the Golden Visa Portugal fund investments are appropriately managed in start-ups or medium-sized projects with optimal growth potential.
- A capital transfer of at least €1.5 million
- A €500,000 investment into private equity or venture capital funds providing capital to specified companies
- A €500,000 investment in companies that are scientific or technological in nature
- A €500,000 business investment in the form of either the purchase of shares in a Portuguese company or setting up a company in sectors like energy, industry, technology, and real estate.
- Generate at least five permanent jobs for at least three years for Portuguese citizens.