Investor Visa options for Unmarried Couples

In general, the terms for an investor visa for couples who are not legally married or in a same-sex relationship are the most liberal and flexible in Europe. In European Union countries that recognize de facto unions, one has the same rights concerning property, inheritance and maintenance payments following a separation.

Unmarried, co-habiting couples

Couples who are not legally married but are co-habiting with a long-term partner sometimes referred to as “common-law partner” may apply for any of the European Golden Visa programs under one joint application.


In Portugal, unmarried couples or life partners who have been residing together for a minimum of two years are eligible to apply together, providing they can show proof of their relationship.  These can be official documents that show they share the same address, have joint accounts or assets, or that they have children or adopted children together should be sufficient enough to support their case.

The Golden Visa Portugal

A Golden Visa Portugal or an investor visa allows the holder free movement meaning that one can live, work, and study in Portugal and anywhere else within the European Union, European Economic Area, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

For a minimum investment of €500,000 the Golden Visa Portugal has the following benefits:

  • Travel visa-free to 186 countries
  • Includes family members
  • Renewable every two years with no residency requirements
  • Citizenship is possible in 5 years.


Unmarried couples need to show proof of a stable and lasting relationship and must sign a Co-habitation Agreement in order to make their relationship official in Greece. It is assumed that one partner is a Greek or EU citizen. This is a simple notarial process that can be completed with the help of a Greek lawyer.

They must show documents that they own a common home or the existence of a common or adopted child. They must show proof of joint, long-term, legal, social or financial commitments. They may also enter into a civil partnership which is also possible for same sex couples.

Investor Visa Grecce

  • minimum investment of €250,000,
  • The entire family is eligible
  • Visa-free travel to Schengen zone
  • Good quality of life
  • High standards of education
  • Free and equal access to the Greek Healthcare System


In Spain, unmarried couples must have a legal partnership in order to apple for the investor visa.  If they do not have such a document, they can register their partnership through a notary that can be arranged by a Spanish lawyer.

They must show documents from the Spanish government that they have entered into a contract of marriage in Spain or have registered in the census or any other similar legal document.

They must show joint rental contracts, joint invoices, joint ownership of assets, invitations to family events such as weddings, etc.

Golden Visa Spain

  • Minimum investment of €500,000
  • The right to live in Spain, a member of the European Union
  • Visa-free travel throughout the European Union
  • Visa-free travel to 185 countries
  • Available for you and your family
  • No minimum stay requirements

Civil partnerships and same-sex couples

Civil partnerships and same-sex marriages are recognized in Portugal, Spain and Greece. All they need to do is submit a legal marriage certificate or civil partnership document.

Greece still requires applicants to sign a Co-habitation Agreement in order to legalize the relationship in Greece.

In Spain and Portugal, a legal marriage certificate or civil partnership document is acceptable.  Should the same-sex couple not be legally married, they can register their partnership through a notary that can be arranged by a Spanish lawyer.

If you would like more information on how to obtain an Investor Visa, please do not hesitate to get in touch with any of our consultants.